The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that you create a pool safety tool kit to have near your pool to ensure you are ready to respond if there is an incident. It should include:
- A first aid kit.
- A pair of scissors to cut hair, clothing, or a pool cover to free someone from entrapment if needed.
- A charged portable telephone to call 911.
- An approved flotation device and rescue equipment.
Once you are set on safety precautions and on knowing all your responsibilities as a pool owner, you can relax and enjoy! Here are a few fun facts about from swimmingpool.com that you might find interesting:
- Swim fins were invented by Benjamin Franklin.
- The first recorded swimming races were held in Japan in 36 B.C.
- The oldest known concrete swimming pool—the Deep Eddy Swimming Pool—was built in Texas in 1915.
- An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. That’s more calories than walking or biking will burn.
- You need to stay hydrated while swimming by drinking water. Your body still produces sweat as it does with other physical activity, but it is not as apparent since you are already wet.
Have a fun summer!