Auto Insurance


Auto insurance is a package of coverages that together make up a policy.

Liability coverages 

Liability coverage will apply when you are responsible for injuring someone else or damaging another's property with your vehicle.

  • Bodily injury
  • Bodily injury coverage does not protect you or your car directly. If you cause an accident injuring other people, it protects you against their claims up to the stated amounts for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.It will also usually pay if the accident was caused by a member of your family living with you or a person using your vehicle with your consent. It does not pay for bodily injury you may sustain.
  • Property damage 
  • This coverage protects you if you are at fault for damage to another person's property, such as a car, its contents, or other property you damage in an accident such as a garage, house, fence,or trailer.
  • Medical payments
  • Medical payments coverage pays for necessary medical care for you or others covered by your policy resulting from an accident.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist
  • Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverages pay for your expenses or the expenses of others covered by your policy if an injury is caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. 

Coverages for damage to your vehicle

Because your vehicles are a significant financial investment, usually second only to your home, it is important to protect yourself from financial hardship when your car is damaged in an accident and needs to be repaired or replaced.

There are two common coverages available for your vehicles: collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. If you have a loan from a bank on your vehicle, your financial institution may require you to carry collision and comprehensive coverage.

  • Collision
    This coverage pays for the damage to the policyholder's car resulting from a collision with another vehicle or object.
  • Comprehensive
    This coverage pays for the damage to the policyholder's car resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, damage from deer hit, hail, fire, explosions, and theft. 

Recommended auto coverages

For auto insurance, we typically recommend the following coverages:

  • Bodily Injury: $250,000/$500,000 (per person limit/per accident limit)
  • Uninsured Motorist: $250,000/$500,000 (minimum $25,000/$50,000 required by law)
  • Underinsured Motorist: $250,000/$500,000 (minimum $50,000/$100,000 required by law)
  • Property Damage: $100,000
  • Medical Payments: $5,000 (minimum of $1,000 required by law if you have medical payments coverage)

Because every situation is different, let one of our consultants help determine the right coverage for you. Call 1-800-279-4030 or schedule a personal phone consultation at a time convenient for you.  


WEA Member Benefits Coverage Definitions

your insurance promo

ira thanks


  • What should I do if I am in an auto accident?
  • FAQs: Auto Insurance
  • Insurance forms and brochures