But during the pandemic, some localities have seen an increase in home burglaries, theft from autos, and theft of autos. So it’s important to remain vigilant. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Keep exterior doors, garage door, and windows locked at all times when you leave the house—even for a few minutes.
- Package thefts from homes are on the rise. Consider sending packages to work or a neighbor’s home, use “ship to store” instead, or add detailed delivery instructions to place packages in a less conspicuous location.
- Keep bushes and trees well trimmed to eliminate hiding places.
- Keep your home well-lit on the outside, and use timers to keep lights on inside when you’re not at home.
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries when you’re away for an extended period of time and have a neighbor keep an eye out on your home.
- Make sure keys, purses, wallets, etc. are not visible through a window or door.
- When parking at home, remove keys and garage door openers from the car to prevent access to your home.
- Make sure your recreational toys (boats, motorcycles, etc.) are secured and properly insured.
- Consider scheduling valuable items on your home insurance.
- Do a home inventory of your possessions and keep it up to date. Download our free home inventory booklet.
- Car theft is usually a crime of opportunity. During the pandemic, it has been easier to steal cars due to fewer people circulating outside and more cars available.
- Remove all valuables from sight—loose change and gift cards are some of the most common items taken. Even if you’re only going to be away from your car “for a minute,” secure valuables in the trunk or remove them from the car.
- Park in well-lit areas when in public. When parking at home, park in the garage or close to the house if possible.
- Lock your doors, windows, and sunroofs. The majority of car break-ins reported involve cars parked in the owners’ driveways that are unlocked. No matter where you park—always lock your doors.
Need an insurance review?
If you’re curious about whether your home and auto are adequately covered, we can help! Call 1-800-279-4030 and talk with a Personal Insurance Consultant. Or sign up for a personal consultation.