Position Title: Programmer Analyst
Reports To: Vice President of Insurance Services
Department: Insurance Services–IT
FSLA Status: Exempt
Union Status: Non Union
The Programmer Analyst is responsible for developing, installing and supporting software solutions for WEA Member Benefits (Member Benefits). The Programmer Analyst must work with senior IT staff, management, staff, vendors and other third parties to understand business needs, security, and usability; provide application support. This includes providing expertise, project planning and management, implementation planning, programming applications, coordinating internal and external resources, providing testing, implementing solutions, providing documentation, and training staff.
The Programmer Analyst is responsible for providing system support of assigned systems, and providing maintenance, technical support, and training of responsible technologies to staff. The Programmer Analyst also provides backup assistance to other IT staff. The Programmer Analyst must be able to work effectively with multiple technologies and work with minimal supervision. Duties such as deploying new applications or system maintenance may require working during non‑business hours.
60%—Application Development and Maintenance
- Support the technical development of applications, including all functionality, specifications, design, testing, quality assurance, and documentation.
- Provide primary support and enhancements for company applications.
- Gather input from users and various departments to direct the development of applications.
- Provide diverse application development for platforms including but not limited to PC desktop, iOS, Web, and mobile.
- Evaluate and analyze data related to application development in order to improve the performance of applications.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code.
- Integrate software components, including internal code libraries and external APIs, into a fully functional application.
- Develop testing plans and quality assurance procedures.
- Document and maintain software functionality.
- Use expertise in “User Interface” and “User Experience” (UI/UX) models to provide an exceptional end‑user experience.
- Work with management, staff, regulators, and other third parties to provide exceptional service.
- Provide system support for assigned applications.
- Analyze the effectiveness of the current applications by gathering usage statistics, studying and monitoring emerging industry trends, e‑business applications, Web business applications, and understanding the needs of business units and how they fit into the overall strategic direction of the organization.
- Provide backup support for the IT Help Desk.
- Create and maintain IT documentation and procedures.
- Create training plans and provide training for end users.
- Perform special projects and duties as needed.
Required experience and knowledge
Qualifications Required for Appointment
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology related field or commensurate experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of PHP programming or comparable web application experience.
- Commitment to excellence in customer service and other Member Benefits values.
- Possess the following application development skills:
- Experience in designing and programming for diverse platforms, including but not limited to PC desktop, iOS, Web, and mobile.
- Experience with programming languages, and frameworks, especially PHP, and including but not limited to .NET, MVC, VB, and C#.
- Experience in delivering user-friendly applications using appropriate layout, color, and imagery.
- Experience using content management systems for Web development.
- Experience working with IDEs such as Visual Studio.
- Experience working with source-control systems; software development and code deployment methods.
- Experience integrating software with third party applications and APIs.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with relational database development.
- Possess the ability to produce detailed project plans that include project feasibility, specifications, timelines, resource allocations, and cost.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to compose clear, concise, and persuasive correspondence and narrative reports that communicate messages using appropriate tone, grammar, and word usage. Be able to convey difficult and/or technical information and possess the ability to listen effectively.
- Possess the ability to create technical documentation.
- Possess excellent analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems, research and analyze issues from multiple perspectives, reach sound conclusions, and make appropriate decisions and recommendations.
- Possess excellent organizational skills, including the ability to effectively and completely handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously and achieve desired results.
- Able to work as a constructive leader or member of a team, including the ability to collaborate effectively with others, be open to new ideas and suggestions, give and accept constructive feedback, and share technical expertise.
- Possess the ability to quickly, effectively, and continually adapt to changes in work objectives, processes, and technology.
- Knowledge of Member Benefits and its products or the willingness and the ability to gain.
- Knowledge of insurance and retirement investment and savings concepts and terminology or the willingness and the ability to gain.
- Able to establish, monitor, and achieve goals with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility to work the schedule and number of hours needed to accomplish regular and ad hoc job responsibilities.
- Excellent performance in current and prior positions.
Preferred experience, knowledge, and abilities
- Knowledge of Member Benefits’ products and services.
- Knowledge of personal insurance or retirement and savings terminology and concepts.
- Experience administering networks or servers.
- Experience providing information systems technical support.
- Experience with project management.
- Successful development and implementation of information systems solutions, including software development.
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Experience with SharePoint.
- Possess technology certifications.
- Membership in industry groups.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume as well as the completed employee application to email@example.com.
Print, sign, and scan your application document and attach it to the email with your resume. OR mail your employee application separately to:
The Employer Group
c/o Mike Beringer
1000 Solar Ct.
Verona, WI 53593