RSS Feed

Financial Fitness Blog

Does your existing policy cover a vacation rental car?

(Insurance) Permanent link   All Posts

Mark DannehlWondering about the insurance coverage on that car you're renting for your upcoming vacation? In some cases, the coverage and deductibles you have on your personal auto policy apply to a rented vehicle.

To be adequately covered, your existing policy should include liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage. You can also check with your credit card company to see if they provide coverage.

Furthermore, consider taking the extra Collision Damage Waiver offered by the rental car company, as it relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. The waiver covers “loss of use”—the money a rental agency loses when the vehicle can’t be rented due to damages. It may also include “diminished value” protection to cover claims for the reduced value of the vehicle after a loss. In most states, your personal auto insurance policy won’t cover these costs, so you might want the added protection.

Have more questions about coverage? Call us at 1-800-279-4010.

Certain policy exclusions and limitations may apply. The terms and conditions of your coverage are exclusively controlled by your written policy. Please refer to your policy for details. Underwritten by WEA Property & Casualty Insurance Company.

Mark Dannehl, Personal Insurance Consultant