College student insurance checklist

Here are some FAQs we receive from parents about how their insurance extends to their kids in college. Our answers assume you carry your insurance with us.

Q. Does having a child away at college affect my auto insurance?

A. Yes. If your dependent child is at a school 100 miles or more away from home without a car, we may be able to adjust your rate for that driver and reduce your premium. If they take a vehicle with them, give us a call to update your policy.

Q. Are my child’s belongings covered under my home insurance while they’re at college?

A. Yes. With your WEA Property & Casualty Insurance Company’s home policy, your child is covered up to 10% of the personal property limit on your policy (subject to deductibles and coverages in your policy).

Q. My insured college student left his laptop at the library and it was stolen. Is it covered?

A. Yes, as long as it’s a theft and a police report is filed. If, however, it gets doused with a can of soda, you’ll be out of luck—unless you add a rider to your policy, which you can do for about $35 a year. And deductibles don’t apply.

For more answers to your questions, call us at 1-800-279-4010.

This article is for informational purposes only and not intended to be legal or tax advice. Consult your tax advisor or attorney before taking any action. Property and casualty insurance programs are underwritten by WEA Property & Casualty Insurance Company. The terms and conditions of your coverage are exclusively controlled by your written policy. Please refer to your policy for details. Certain policy exclusions and limitations may apply.

your insurance promo

ira thanks