Flood insurance coverage FAQs

flood faqs

Whenever there are floods in Wisconsin, we receive a large volume of calls from members wondering about how to get insurance coverage to protect themselves from losses due to flooding. Here are answers to commonly asked questions.

Does my home insurance policy cover flooding?
No. Most home and business insurance polices do not cover flood losses.

Am I eligible for flood insurance?
If your community is a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), you’re eligible for federally sponsored flood insurance coverage for your home or business.

How can I find out if my community participates in NFIP?
Access the NFIP Community Status Book at FEMA.gov to see if your community participates.

If my home is flooded, won’t federal disaster assistance pay for my damages?
No. Federal disaster assistance offers loans to help cover flood damage, not compensation for your losses. Even then, those loans are only available if the President formally declares a disaster…and less than 10% of all weather emergencies in the U.S. are declared.

How do I know if I live in a high- or low-risk flood area?
You can find out your relative flood risk for your area by entering your property information at floodsmart.gov—a Web site created by FEMA. However, digital maps are not available for all areas at this time. You can call NFIP at 1-888-379-9531.

I live in a low-risk flood zone. Do I really need flood insurance?
Almost 25% of all flood insurance claims come from areas with minimal flood risk. You will need to make the decision whether you can manage this risk.

Who do I contact if I want to purchase a flood insurance policy?
The NFIP has an arrangement with private insurance companies to sell and service flood insurance policies. You can get a quote and purchase flood insurance through Member Benefits. To speak with an insurance consultant about flood insurance, call 1-800-279-4010. Keep in mind that there is typically a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase before a new flood policy goes into effect.

What water damage is covered by my home policy?
If you have your home insurance with Member Benefits, you have coverage for water damage resulting from a covered loss up to the limit of your policy. Flooding is not a covered loss; however, water damage caused by bursting water pipes, for example, would be considered a covered loss. Another common cause of water damage is drain and sewer backup. Up to $20,000 coverage can be added as an endorsement to your policy to protect you from losses due to sewer or drain backup.

If you have questions about our home coverage, flood insurance, or want more information, call 1-800-279-4010.

your insurance promo

ira thanks